A car suspension is designed to maximize friction between the road surface and the tires, provide a balanced, stable, smooth ride and provide steering stability. Watch this funny, yet informative video to understand the ins and outs of your car suspension:
Your car suspension is composed of 4 critical parts:
- The frame which is the load-carrying mechanism that supports the engine and body.
- The suspension system which absorbs the shock, maintains contact with the road, and supports the weight of your vehicle.
- The steering system which lets the driver steer the vehicle while driving.
- The tires and the wheels, which obviously make the motion possible.
The smaller and more critical component of a car’s suspension is the springs.
There are typically 4 basic designs:
- The coil spring, which is the most common type, and compresses and expands to absorb motion.
- A leaf spring, which consists of several layers.
- Torsion bars, which use twisting properties to act like coils.
- Air springs, which use a cylindrical chamber to absorb wheel vibrations.
How do you know when it’s time for a car suspension repair?
Your vehicle will find a way to communicate with you! Here 8 things to watch for:
If your vehicle is experiencing any of these issues, we recommend you visit ABS Unlimited to diagnose your vehicle. We will assess these parts of your vehicle:
Click Here To Schedule An Appointment
We are family owned & operated and have been serving the Fairfax, VA area since 1987. All of our services are performed by ASE Certified technicians, assuring quality service & repair. Our customers love us! Don’t just take our word for it, click here to read our Google reviews.